Friday, June 25, 2010

Rafa:Sad To Leave Liverpool


Former Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has broken his silence since leaving the club and revealed the part that Managing Director Christian Purslow played in his departure.

Speaking candidly about his time on Merseyside, the new Inter Milan manager revealed in a radio interview that his mutual termination earlier this month was agreed whilst he was on holiday in Sardinia with his family.

During the hour-long interview with Radio City, Benitez revealed that Purslow "decided" to end his six-year reign as he is now the man "in charge" at Anfield and maintained that he fought from start to finish to deliver the best for the club's supporters.

He said: "It was really sad [leaving]. I was on holidays so it was a surprise that everything was going on in this way, but at the end of the day it has to be like this because Christian Purslow now is in charge so he decided to do it in this way, and that's it.

"But you have to move forward. I always say to my family that we cannot complain too much and the people of Liverpool are fighters. When I came here I was fighting from the beginning until the end so now I have to do the same [with Inter]. I have to think about the future.

"Again, I will say that I was really pleased here and the fans were amazing but now I cannot stand up and just complain or thinking about the good memories. I have to move forward and do the best for my new club."

Roy Hodgson is set to be installed as the Spaniard's successor after he has returned to the UK after working as a World Cup pundit for BBC TV in South Africa.

The 62-year-old saw his hopes of succeeding Fabio Capello as England manager dashed in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday after the national side scraped a 1-0 win over Slovenia to book their place in the knockout stages of the tournament.

He could be joined at Anfield by Mike Kelly if a suitable compensation deal can be agreed with Fulham for their assistant manager.

No comments:

Post a Comment