Thursday, October 28, 2010

Ashley Young Strongly Linked With A January Move To Liverpool

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young is being heavily linked with a move to Liverpool. The People reports that Roy Hodgson will be handed a £30 million warchest by new Liverpool owners NESV in January as he looks to strengthen his faltering squad - with £14 millon-rated Young an alleged target. The 25-year-old has 18-months left to run on his current deal at Villa Park has fuelled speculation that he will soon be on his way out of Birmingham after stalling over a new contract. "I've told the people at Villa that I won't be signing a new contract at the moment," the England winger told the Sun. "I know they want to get it done now but my current deal still has a year to run after this season and I feel there is plenty of time to talk next summer." Tottenham have also been previously linked with the former Watford ace but, after Harry Redknapp yesterday ruled Spurs out of the race, Liverpool would appear to be frontrunners for Young's signature. Redknapp said: "We've got Gareth Bale - what would I do with him [Young]? "I can't get Niko Kranjcar on the pitch; he's a fantastic player. "What am I going to do with another left winger, give myself another headache?" Redknapp's comments will be a boost to Hodgson, who has endured a difficult start to his Liverpool tenure; crashing out of the Carling Cup to lowly Northampton Town and struggling to find form in the Premier League. However, the takeover by NESV appears to have breathed a renewed sense of optimism into some of the Anfield faithful and Hodgson will reportedly be given the chance to turn Liverpool into a force once again with a substantial transfer kitty when the transfer window reopens.

No comments:

Post a Comment